Friday, January 24, 2014

TO SEE OR NOT TO SEE? MOVIES TO LOOK OUT FOR IN 2014 (First quarter of the year)


I'm back children!  After Christmas I took a break (mostly due to an insane work schedule) but 2014 is here and we've got some flicks to get ready for!



This year and next are going to be exciting for the movie world as we get epic conclusions to great series, continuations of budding series, and much more!

The choice we are left with now is whether to spend our hard earned money watching these movies in theaters, waiting for the DVD/on demand releases, wait to watch on public programming, or just not even waste time watching.

Now the following list is NOT of ALL the flicks coming out in the first three months of 2014, but it is comprised of either big and highly anticipated movies, or movies I personally have an interest in.

JANUARY


Ride Along
I like Kevin Hart and think he's hilarious.  I like Ice Cube and think he's a better actor than given credit for.  However, I can't seem to bring myself to a place where I'm eager to see this flick immediately.

The verdict: I'd say wait for the DVD/Netflix release.



Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit
Based on the wildly popular novel series by Tom Clancy, the Jack Ryan character has actually been on the big screen a whopping four times before this film!  Alec Baldwin was the first to play Ryan in "The Hunt For Red October", followed by Harrison Ford in both "Clear and Present Danger" and "Patriot Games", and Ben Affleck played Jack Ryan in an attempted reboot of the character's movie franchise in "The Sum of All Fears".

Now Chris Pine (who is making waves after a great portrayal of Captain Kirk in the recent J.J. Abrams adaptation of "Star Trek") takes the reigns in this second attempted reboot of Jack Ryan.

I was never a huge fan of Ryan, mostly because I was very young when the first three movies came out, so I did not understand at the time who the character was.  I also did not enjoy Affleck's run at the character.

The verdict: Kevin Costner and Keira Knightley aren't enough backup to cause me to want to watch this movie in the theater, I'm waiting for it to show up on Netflix.


I, Frankenstein
Fans of the transparent fantasy action movies (like "Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters" and "Van Helsing") will probably enjoy this film.  A butt-kicking supernatural ninja-like Frankenstein (played by Aaron Eckhart) comes across the Hunchback of Notre Dame, Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde and other fantasy creatures in this high octane flick.

The verdict: Just like Van Helsing, Hansel and Gretel, and all the Underworld movies, I'll be waiting until it comes out on Netflix.



FEBRUARY


RoboCop
A generic remake of a classic 80's movie franchise that will probably not live up to its predecessor (much like every other remake of 80's movies).  While Gary Oldman, Michael Keaton and Samuel L. Jackson are a swell bunch of actors, they still don't peak my interest in seeing a "RoboCop" remake.


The verdict: I'm towing the line between waiting for the release and just not seeing it....but curiosity will get the better of me in the end and I'll watch it on Netflix Instant.  I won't bother to have the DVD sent to me.


Cuban Fury
Nick Frost stars as a former dance prodigy who attempts a comeback to try and impress a woman.



I'm Cuban and I love Nick Frost.  'Nuff said.

The verdict: I would love to see this in theaters but I know myself too well to spend the money to do so.  The movie has to be completely worth the trip, the ticket price, and the snack price.  

I'll watch this on Netflix DVD.



A Fantastic Fear of Everything
Comedic great Simon Pegg stars as a children's author turned true crime novelist develops an extreme phobia of death as he writes about serial killers and violent crimes.  He is forced to confront his fears when a Hollywood executive approaches him with interest in his writing.


The verdict: I love Simon Pegg as much as I love Nick Frost....even more so.  In my humble opinion, you cannot go wrong with any of his films ("Run, Fatboy, Run", "How To Lose Friends and Alienate People", "Hot Fuzz", "Shaun of the Dead" to name a few), but this one seems to be the first that might let me down.  I'll be waiting for it on Netflix Instant.


The Monuments Men
A platoon in WWII is tasked with retrieving priceless artifacts before the Reich destroys them as Germany fell.

Simple enough plot (which is based on a true story) that seems very interesting.


The verdict: Clooney, Goodman, Damon and, my favorite, Bill Murray headline this WWII flick!  This is theater material!



Non-Stop
On a long flight, an Air Marshall receives a threat saying one person will be killed every 20 minutes until a certain amount of money is transferred into an offshore account.  He must race against time to find the culprit and protect the passengers!


The verdict:  This is Liam Neeson kicking butt on an airplane.  Since when is it not fun to watch Neeson kick butt on the big screen??  This will be a theater movie for me!



MARCH


300: Rise of an Empire
Themistocles is a Greek general who leads his armies against the invading Persians on the high seas as Xerxes presses on to finish what he began on Leonidas and his 300 Spartans.


The verdict: This movie will be an action magnet with big scenes and bloody sequences like the first film.  The problem is that it is filled with B-List actors and no one to really lead the way.  While it will not be held together by a prominent Hollywood actor, it still looks to be a large action film that should be seen on the big screen.  I will take a risk and see this in theaters.



Special ID
A Chinese police officer and his team go undercover to stop a ruthless gang and its leader, but they begin to be exposed one at a time.  Can the officer keep his whole team from meeting its end?


The verdict:  What makes this different from any other undercover cop story?  Well, Donnie Yen makes all the difference in the world!  The man is a kung fu genius who is highly underrated and under used in Hollywood.  You can see his awesomeness in his fight choreography in the epic movie "Blade II" (which also happened to be the best movie of the trilogy) and you can watch him kick some butt in there as well.  Now while I really enjoy Yen, I usually watch his movies on Netflix.



Noah
Following the biblical story of the man who built an ark to save his family and every animal on earth from a massive flood that would wipe out all humanity; Russell Crowe, Emma Watson, Jennifer Connelly, Logan Lerman and Anthony Hopkins lead the way in this supernatural action thriller.


The verdict: I am a sucker for Bible based movies made in Hollywood.  It's hard being a Christian and only seeing low budget films made, so this is such a refreshing change of pace.  While we've had "One Night With The King", "The Nativity Story" and "The Passion of the Christ", this movie will be the first (that I can remember) with an A-List cast and supernatural special effects since Charlton Heston's "The Ten Commandments"!  I'm theater bound for this film!



The Raid: Berendal
Picking up only two hours after the first installment, this movie follows Rama who goes undercover to continue taking apart the syndicate his squad infiltrated earlier while uncovering the corruption revealed in the police force.


The verdict: While there isn't much known about this movie just yet, I know I will watch this in theaters!  I made the mistake of passing on the first one in theaters and I regret it to this day.  The Raid movies are all about the action and making it as big but realistic as possible.  The martial artists are amazing and will make you believe you're watching real fights!


So what do you think?  What will you be seeing in theaters or waiting to be released on DVD?


Thank you for reading and making this the success it is!  If there are any movies you'd like to see reviewed, feel free to email me at jayreviewsfilms@gmail.com.  

You can also come and like our page on Facebook where some shorter reviews that aren't posted on this blog go up along with information and trailers for upcoming movies.


Jay




No comments:

Post a Comment