Monday, September 3, 2012

SEEKING JUSTICE

"The Hungry Rabbit Jumps"...er, I mean, "Justice"....er, I mean, "Seeking Justice"
After two title changes, Spiderman himself (Tobey Maguire) produces a little known and widely rejected movie called "Seeking Justice". 


This movie is, in my opinion, an updated reboot of "The Skulls"....everyone is in on the "organization," from cops to the average Joe. 
 
The Illuminati has been around since Dawson's Creek
In "Seeking Justice," goatee Nicolas Cage broods around the city doing favors for an organization we never discover the name of in exchange for them 'taking care' of the man who raped and beat his wife.  The offer to seek retribution comes from the great Guy Pearce (who has a very Jason Statham from "Transporter" vibe about him) who claims to have lost his own wife to a similar crime in the past. 
 
 
I can't, for the life of me, understand why this movie got such a bad rap.  Yes, Mr Cage is clearly unenthusiastic about being an actor these days (as is portrayed in all his performances within the last decade with the exception of "Kick Ass"), but the movie itself was not bad. 
 
I enjoyed it very much!  Guy Pearce always carries more than his share of weight in every movie I've seen him in (I haven't seen Lockdown yet so don't go there), and the supporting cast really sell this film.
 
 
There is a cool but confusing subplot in this film: at one point we're made to think that there may be ANOTHER secret organization opposing that of Guy Pearce, OR perhaps there's in-fighting in said syndicate?  Who knows?  That's the beauty of this movie, you're open to imagine what's going on.  And much like "The Skulls," I can see a couple of B-rated sequels with non talented actors trying to recreate what the first has done.
 
Bottom line, I give this movie:
 
4.0004581746418 out of 5 stars
 
Nic Cage may not be the same actor he was in "Face Off," but he was invested in this movie enough to make it bearable to watch him when none of the fantastic supporting actors shared the screen with him.
 
 
 
FYI: I watched this in real HD and let me tell you, HD is way overrated!  It takes away so much from the "big movie feel."  Give me standard definition...I don't need to see the caked makeup, delayed sound to action ratio or soap opera looking effects in these types of action flicks!
 
Until next time,
 
Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment